The Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT), through its Mindanao Cluster 2, is set to launch multiple Free Wi-Fi sites in Region X and Region XIII (CARAGA) in February and March this year.
This is in line with the Department’s mission to provide free Internet connectivity and access in public places nationwide, especially in geographically isolated and disadvantaged areas, through its Free Wi-Fi in Public Places and State Universities and Colleges Program.
Section 5 of Republic Act 10929 or the Free Internet Access in Public Places Act mandates the DICT as the lead implementing agency to oversee the effective and efficient implementation of the law.
“This series of launches that we will be conducting is a proof of your DICT’s undying commitment in implementing the mandates of RA 10929, and of our mission to connecting every Filipino – wherever they are in the country- to the digital landscape,” DICT Secretary Gregorio B. Honasan II said.
“This is just the beginning. You can expect more Free Wi-Fi sites to be deployed in the coming months as we continue to fast track the roll-out of the program,” he added.
The series of launches will be participated in by DICT officials, led by Secretary Honasan, as well as representatives from respective Provincial and Local Government Units and beneficiary sites.
These will be streamed live via DICT’s official Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/DICTgovph
Below is the schedule of Free Wi-Fi sites launch per province.
- February 23, 2020 – Province of Camiguin
- February 24, 2020 – Province of Agusan del Norte and Agusan del Sur, including the City of Butuan
- February 26, 2020 – Province of Misamis Occidental
- March 2, 2021 – Province of Bukidnon
- March 3, 2021 – Province of Lanao del Norte
- March 4, 2021 – Province of Misamis Oriental and City of Cagayan de Oro
- March 9, 2021 – Province of Surigao del Norte
- March 10, 2021 – Province of Surigao del Sur
- March 11, 2021 – Province of Dinagat Islands